This document summarises the World Cafe sessions which took place at the Local Authority School Estate Conference in November 2013. The discussions looked in detail at the opportunities for better briefing for education benefit, considering six case studies in Scotland.
Each case study considered how local authorities have developed different processes to link the education brief and spatial brief through collaboration. Each session began with a short verbal presentation to provoke discussion, then facilitators at each table invited discussion on the issues that arose.
The case studies were;
- The Collaborative Briefing Process, Jan Pollock, Quality Improvement Officer at East Dunbartonshire Council
- Learning Beyond the School Gate, Dugald Forbes, Educationalist
- Briefing for Refurbishment of Small Schools, Annette Patterson, Asset Development Manager for Scottish Borders Council with Lesley Munro, Headteacher from Earlston and Gordon Primary Schools
- The Idea of Shared Spaces, Steven Quinn, Head of Service, Education and Skills at North Ayrshire Council
- Briefing for and Delivering Spaces for Outdoor Learning, Juno Hollyhock, Executive Director of Grounds for Learning
- Re-Imagining an Existing Interior Setting, Sam Cassels, Strategic Design Advisor, Scottish Futures Trust