The foundations for the development of a National Centre were laid in 2008 when SNBTS carried out a consultation exercise with staff, stakeholders and the public to address the changing environment in which the organisation operates and the increasing complexities of delivering healthcare.
The resulting strategic plan, Meeting the Transfusion Needs of Patients in Scotland 2009-14, highlighted and sought comment on one of the key challenges identified during the nationwide exercise – the need to modernise SNBTS blood and tissue processing and testing facilities to match the ever more stringent regulatory standards demanded of the pharmaceutical manufacturing industry.
After exploring various options (including the refurbishment of existing facilities), it was agreed that consolidating services in a new purpose-built National Centre would be the best way of ensuring the safe future supply of blood, tissues and cells for patients in Scotland.
Following appraisal workshops and consultation with staff, the site chosen for the National Centre is at Heriot Watt Research Park close to Edinburgh.
By modernising our manufacturing processes, systems and facilities in purpose-built premises, we will be able to provide:
- ongoing compliance in an increasingly complex regulatory environment
- improved working conditions, arrangements and opportunities for staff
- process improvement through the various synergies which exist between departments and working practices
- efficient and resilient service delivery
- effective introduction of new developments, products and safety measures in a flexible, future proof building.
A centre of excellence, the state-of-the-art facility will consolidate several of SNBTS’ core activities and related services, including:
- processing and testing of blood, tissues and cells
- quality and regulatory functions
- selected donor administration
- selected research and development
- management and support offices
- IT support
Text from National Services Scotland
For further details of the project download the full case study via the link in the resources section to the right.
|About this development|
|Project||Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service (SNBTS)|
|Location||Heriot-Watt University Research Park|
|Client Body||NHS National Service Scotland|
|Delivery Team||Currently at competitive dialogue|
|Procurement Type||Non-Profit Distributing|
|Development Types||Specialist clinical|
|SCIM Design Statement||Scottish National Blood Transfusion Service (SNBTS) (PDF)|