Plans for a new District General Hospital for Dumfries and Galloway are currently in Competative Dialogue with bidding developers. NHS Dumfries and Galloway’s proposals for a replacement to the current facility on Bankend Road will be built near Garroch Business Park, adjacent to major transport routes, in Dumfries.
The full range of services that are presently delivered from the existing acute hospital will be provided from the new District General Hospital (with the exception of Renal, Ophthalmology and a number of Allied Health Professional outpatient clinics which will be delivered from the Cresswell Wing).
The Case for Change is built upon:
- The need to be able to respond to National Policy such as 2020 vision, the Quality Strategy and Reshaping Care for Older People and to facilitate the delivery of local initiatives such as Putting You First.
- The need to be able to respond to and manage future demographic change. The demographic change impacts on both the ageing population and their health needs and the workforce for the future.
- The need to further modernise services, focusing on quality and clinical effectiveness.
- The need to address backlog maintenance and the lack of functional suitability of current DGRI facilities, along with the need to improve the patient environment, in order to be able to modernise service delivery and meet targets and objectives
- The new hospital sits within a broader strategy for Dumfries and Galloway including cottage hospitals to enable care closer to home.
A reference design (illustrated) has been developed which includes:
- A new hospital building, of low rise design of no more than four stories in height, with associated amenity landscape. The hospital is expected to be approx 53,500sqm and have 350 in-patient beds, in single en-suite rooms
- Formation of new access from an enlarged A75 / Garroch roundabout and realignment of the Glen Road; separate dedicated emergency entrance, and secondary goods and services access
- 980 car parking spaces and 80 cycle parking spaces
- A helipad
- Staff residences
- A dedicated energy centre
- Provision of Sustainable Urban Drainage scheme; off-site road infrastructure improvement works.
Text adapted from NHS Dumfries and Galloway
For further details of the project download the full case study via the link in the resources section to the right.
|About this development|
|Project||Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary|
|Location||Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway|
|Client Body||NHS Dumfries and Galloway|
|Procurement Type||Non-Profit Distributing|
|Development Types||Support services, Palliative care, Children’s and young people’s services, Dental care, Inpatient facility, Diagnostics and treatment, Maternity, Elderly, Outpatient care, Cardiac services, Cancer services, Acute|
|SCIM Design Statement||Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary SCIM Design Statement (PDF)|